Friday, October 17, 2008

24weeks: Anniversary and San Francisco excursion

Oh wow, I can't believe how behind I am getting. I wanted to record every detail of this pregnancy, and I just keep putting it off. And the longer I wait, the more I have to write, which makes me feel like I don't have time to write a catch up message. I guess I'll write part of it now, and part later!

First of all, S felt the baby kick for the first time at 24 weeks! Very cool!

S and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary on October 1st. Even though it was a Wednesday night, we went for a walk on the beach followed by dinner at a yummy Italian restaurant. Here's a 24w1d belly shot from our walk on the beach. As you can see, I've grown a lot lately!


Afterwards, our waiter at the Italian restaurant offered me wine, which I politely declined. As we were leaving, he said, "OH!!" and pointed at my belly. "Congratulations!!" This was actually the first time that a complete stranger had said anything to me (although people who know me have been commenting for weeks now.) And the very next day a random woman in the elevator at work also made a comment. So far, I haven't minded at all.

S and I went to San Francisco for the weekend of October 4-6th to celebrate the wedding of my very special friend K's little sister, R. It was a beautiful ceremony in an open field with a spectacular view of the Golden Gate bridge. I believe there were FOUR adorable little boys in the 10 months to 2 year age range, and it was great to see how well they did all evening, despite the unfamiliar faces and the noise.

Other highlights of the weekend included:

- catching up with an old ex-bf of mine (known him since '94 but only dated him in 2000-2001, so we are really more like old friends), and getting a chance to get to know his girlfriend a bit better. The only other time I had met her was at my own wedding, so you can imagine that I hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk to her then

- going to Golden Gate Park to check out the new California Academy of Sciences museum. Unfortunately, they had opened only 1 week before, so the line was way too long... Well, we saw it from the outside and had an opportunity to stroll around the park at least.

- being on a crazy crowded Muni train with hundreds of teens/early 20-somethings headed to some crazy event called the Love Fest. It looked like it would have been really fun -- if I wanted a chance to wear fish nets, boots, a pink wig, fairy wings, and a feather boa with thousands of my friends, and if I were about 20 years old. And then the Muni train in front of us apparently derailed... So we got to figure out how to get over to the BART train, rush back to our hotel, change clothes, and get to the wedding. Of course, our cab driver had never heard of the wedding location and was generally clueless, so we had to suggest that perhaps he should input the destination's address into his dashboard-mounted GPS. Amazingly, we made it to the wedding with about 5 minutes to spare!

- naively thinking that maybe we could just hop on a ferry to Alcatraz. No, apparently you need reservations weeks in advance!

- renting bikes instead. This actually made me kinda crampy and the (early maternity tight lycra waisted) cropped pants I had on are now way too small for my current belly. I guess I won't be wearing those again until the post-partum period!

No comments: