I have been in an anti-posting mood lately; it probably has something to do with working 6:45 AM to about 6:30+ PM every weekday during March. I am simply not as hardy and resilient as I used to be during residency, so I find these hours pretty exhausting. Especially when I get calls (via the page operator) from patients or the ER at 1:30 AM and 4:30 AM, like I did last night.
Anyway, I think my post's title tells the tale... another BFN for us after the latest IUI. My temp starting dipping last Friday, came back up on Saturday, and then jumped to its highest on Sunday (CD15). Luckily, I did not get excited, thanks to an utter lack of any promising symptoms. Thus, I was not surprised when I woke up sweaty Monday morning, found that my temp had started to crash downward, and that my period started Monday afternoon.
I called the RE's office and got at least partial clarification of upcoming events:
---Tomorrow (CD 3) I have to go in for an ultrasound (included in the IVF fee) and CD3 bloodwork. Having to pay separately for that bloodwork really irritates me since I already did that last June, and my FSH and estradiol were perfectly normal. However, I guess they want to make sure that I have not suddenly entered early menopause. Given the striking regularity of my period, I think this is rather unlikely. :> I will also be tested for the cystic fibrosis mutation. If this were to be positive, I don't know quite what would happen. I know S would need to be tested, too, but how much would we be delayed? We're going on vacation in mid-May, so I guess I better find out ASAP!
-- Friday (CD5), I have to start birth control pills. I forget which brand, but it's something I've never used before. I will take them for 10-21 days, depending on their schedule. Hopefully on the order of 10 days, because I want to get this party started. I'm also supposed to start taking baby aspirin and continue prenatals. I assume I should continue metformin, too, although I haven't specifically asked about this recently.
-- Sometime soon (not sure when), S and I both have to take doxycycline twice daily for 10 days. This makes me feel like they are treating us for an STD (which we do not have!), but apparently this clinic recommends this for everyone prior to IVF.
-- Next Tuesday (CD9), I will have a trial transfer, where they somehow determine how they will get the embryo(s) to the right spot in the uterus. I don't know why they don't already know this, considering that they have used an "embryo transfer catheter" for 3 out of 4 of my IUIs, but again, I don't really understand the process.
They wanted to do a saline sonohystogram, too, but I already paid them $450 for this EXACT test in October, and it was 100% normal, so I will literally REFUSE to do this test again. I will throw a giant fit if they say otherwise. As it stands, I already need to bring a cashier's check for $10,525 to this appointment. This does not include the cost of meds.
-- Once they tweak the duration of birth control pills so that they can fit me into their IVF schedule, at some point I'll start Lupron together with the birth control pills. Then, after 5 days, I stop birth control pills and expect a withdraw bleed. Soon thereafter, stimulation meds start... Wow.
I know I say this all calmly now, but I did shed a couple of tears yesterday after I called the office. I get really angry when I'm asked to repeat tests that I have already done and paid for. It's one of the few things I can get mad about and try to have control over, I think, so I do! However, I try to be firm (but not rude) to the staff, because I don't want them to dislike me.
We're really ready for this, though. I'm tired of the months and months of waiting. S and I transferred the money into our checking account last night, and I guess I'll pick up the cashier's check on Saturday. It will be 100% worth it (of course!) if it works. But if it doesn't....ugh! I need to clarify with them about what happens if the cycle is cancelled at some point. At what point is it non-refundable?
Of course, I'm just thinking about the financial what-ifs because I don't want to think about the emotional what-ifs. I think I know the answer, though. We'd do any FET cycles and probably even another IVF or two. I just PRAY that we don't have to. Please please PLEASE let it work.