Sunday, August 31, 2008

19w5d: Backtrack to 19w2d...Ultrasound Report

Actually the ultrasound was several days ago at 19w2d, but I'm finally posting now...

The most important news is that everything with the baby looks fine! Honestly, I think I was still anxious going into the appointment. In fact, I woke up at about 4:45 AM that morning, and I couldn't go back to sleep. Our appointment was at 7:30 AM, so it really was only about an hour early, but still... So I logged onto this website as well as Ovusoft and was thrilled to see that one of my IVF cycle buddies (Poppy at Forcing Seeds here on blogspot) got her first ever BFP from a FET cycle! Somehow this news felt like a good omen and made me feel a little bit more relaxed.

S and I had to drive in separate cars to the appointment as we both had to go to work afterwards. We met in the parking lot and headed into the Genetics and Fetal Diagnostics clinic area. We waited only about 5 minutes before we were called into the exam room. The ultrasound technician first asked us whether we both wanted to find out the gender today. We replied with a definitive "yes," so she got started right away and I was immediately relieved to see that Blueberry was there and moving around.

The exam itself was head-to-toe. Actually, first the technician looked at my cervix (4.0 cm, which she said was fine) and ovaries (one not easily visualized, one about 4 cm -- possibly still enlarged from IVF/OHSS.) She told us that the baby was in the breech position...not a concern at this point.

Next, she moved onto the head and brain, and spent a bit more time than I would have liked measuring the ventricles, etc. (Turned out it was fine, but it made me nervous.) I tried to kinda watch her face and attitude, and she seemed relaxed, so I tried to calm down and enjoy everything. She then looked at the palate and lips, abdomen, kidneys, cord insertion, etc.


Finally, she started looking a bit lower. I tried to figure out what I was seeing based on some of the internet pictures I've seen, but really... I had no idea.



She snapped a few pictures and said, "I see three lines." I understood what this meant immediately and looked over at S, who had no idea of the significance of those words. The technician then clarified: "You're having a baby girl!"

It was a big rush of emotion and I was surprised that I didn't start crying. (I certainly did at most of our previous ultrasounds.) I think that both of us were pretty surprised... maybe even stunned. I had thought for weeks that we were having a boy, and I think that some of that assuredness had rubbed off onto S. Not withstanding our surprise, we are thrilled!

The tech then moved onto look at the femur length, and then the ankles and feet. She then had me go to the bathroom to see if the baby might get into a more favorable position to looking at the heart anatomy. Before she started on that, she told us, "I am going to take a lot of pictures of the heart, and that doesn't mean that there is a problem. We are required to get a lot of detailed pictures." After that, she did a few 3-D images, but couldn't get a great face shot due to movement and the baby keeping her hands near her face. In fact, throughout the exam the tech kept commenting on how very active the baby was. We never did get a great view of the hands in the open position, but at one point she did seem to be pointing at something... I love these pics!





After this, the tech left the exam room to present her findings to the radiologist. After 5-10 minutes, the radiologist and tech returned to the room. The radiologist took one look at me, and said, "Oh, I think we've met before." I actually have no recollection of this, but later I figured out that he must be a resident and I've probably met him looking at a patient's chest CT or brain MRI or something like that. He said that everything looked fine but he wanted to get one more glance at the cord insertion and the kidneys. We did that, and he pronounced that everything looked fine. S and I both breathed a big sigh of relief! It looks like everything is OK!

Afterwards, S walked across the parking lot to my work building and we had breakfast in the little cafe there. Next, he came and saw my new office for the first time, and then headed off to work. At this point I spent a while phoning my mom, my friend K, and my dad and sister with the big news. I also told a few people around my workplace... A couple of them didn't actually know that I was pregnant, so that was kinda fun.

I also later spoke with my Grandpa. At age 93, he has 2 daughters (my mom and my aunt) and 2 granddaughters (me and my sister), but no male descendents. I thought he might be a little disappointed, but he was absolutely thrilled. I love my Grandpa!

I have a bit more to say, but it'll have to wait for later... :)

16 comments:

poppy.f.seed said...

Thanks for mentioning me, very sweet.
You had you big u/s the same day as a good friend, so I've been wondering!

Congrats on the healthy baby girl. Must've been great to see her so active and so healthy.
Wonderful!

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

Woohoooo!!! Welcome to Team Pink! Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my god! Your daughter. You are having a girl. That is so awesome. I'm so excited for you. I actually cried reading this (probably in part to all the drugs I'm on). You will have such fun with the nursery, clothes, names....this is wonderful. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, a princess!! Congrats!

Lorrie said...

Wonderful news, Sarah! Congrats on finding out Blueberry's a "she" and that she is healthy and doing well.

Jen said...

Yay team pink!! Congratulations!

Jill said...

Congrats on your little girl!!!!! I'm sure that was such an exciting moment. Glad to hear that she's doing well, too.

Morrisa said...

Amazing pictures and congrats on your baby girl!

Jen said...

Congrats on a healthy, baby girl!!! I was also completely sure we were having a boy and felt overcome with emotion when we learned we were really having a girl. I'm not sure if it was the girl or just the knowing that caused the emotional response. But either way, it is really the best feeling in the world isn't it?

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Awesome ultrasound pics! I never get tired of looking at those. ;)

Congrats on the clean bill of health for your DAUGHTER!!!

Grandma Honey said...

Oh, I am so happy for you. I hope our ultrasound goes as well tomorrow!

CJ said...

Congrats on your baby girl!!! :) Keep us posted! :)

Soapchick said...

Yeah for a girl!!!!

A n T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Congrats and best wishes.
Wow, the U/S is so complicated compared to the IUI and IVF ultrasounds that we all know so well. Glad that everything is looking good.

Cibele said...

Congratulations . I still remember when the u/s tech told is we were having a girl!!!!!!!!! you will love having a daughter