I was about as happy as can be after my appointment today. But now I'm a bundle of nerves and anxiety.
Dr A did my ultrasound this morning. My endometrium was 19mm, "a little thick" but still OK. He reassured me that they only worry when the lining is too thin. Now I'm googling and finding some studies that say that "too thick" (> 14 mm) is bad, and others that say that it doesn't matter. I feel like I can deal with this.
During the ultrasound, even I could see that the follicles had grown quite a bit since yesterday. On the right, the largest were 18 and 16 mm. On the left, the largest was 17 mm. He didn't measure any others, but there were lots more and he said that I would have "plenty" of eggs.
Afterwards, I was asking one of the nurses a few questions about the logistics of retrieval day. Then, I asked about day 3 versus day 5 transfer, and which is more common. She lowered her voice and said, "Honestly, Sarah, your cycle is going so perfectly. I honestly think that you will have a day 5 transfer."
So I left there as happy as can be and shared the news with S and my mom. I then did a brisk walk up the hill from La Joll.a Shores. It was one of the most beautiful days that I can remember - warm air, blue cloudless sky and ocean, and tons of flowering trees everywhere. This is the same route that I jog/walked last Sunday, but today I was chatting happily on the phone and was deciding to give my ovaries a little TLC by skipping the running part. Next, I went to Target to pick up some household stuff and toiletries. As I was pulling out of the driveway, the RE's office called.
My E2 level is now up to 3141 (more than double from yesterday... how did that happen?) and I need to STOP both Follistim and Menopur. I will continue Lupron. This is called coasting, and it is supposed to help prevent OHSS. Basically, they wait until your E2 starts decreasing and then give you the HCG shot at that point. Of course I googled it, and while pregnancy is still possible, the rates are lower than with non-coasting cycles. The worst case scenario is that ER gets cancelled altogether (because the HCG shot itself can make OHSS worse). They didn't mention that scenario on the phone, but I'm worried that this could happen.
Writing about this here is making me even more scared. I might even call them back to discuss. I think my chances of getting Dr A himself on the phone are near zero, but maybe a nurse can reassure me. Of course, this being Saturday, I'm afraid that they may already be gone for the day.