Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stim Day 7

I told the nurses this morning about my anxiety about how the E2 has more than doubled every day. They took a look at my file and said that my numbers actually look "perfect." I wanted to hug them for using that word! I also told them how I had been worried that my E2 would be over 10,000 within just a few days. They said that it was likely going to slow down, and that if I did get too high, I would likely just "coast" until the numbers settled down. I did appreciate their reassurances.

So, I was pretty happy with today's E2 level: 984. That was less than doubling, so they were right! Phew!!

I was definitely feeling my ovaries this morning, but they seem less noticeable right now. TMI #1: It's sometimes difficult for me to distinguish between the ovary growth feeling, and maybe the sense that I might be constipated. (sorry!) I was trying to think of a way to describe it to S, and I came up with: it kinda feels like how you might feel if you had 2 cue balls (the kind you play pool with) tucked into your pelvis along with all the intestines, bladder, uterus, and stuff that is supposed to be there. It's not painful, but kinda full and heavy. Meanwhile, I made plans for S and I to go hiking with P (a guy friend from work) and his wife, L, on Sunday. I have mentioned P&L before; they too have struggled with IF but apparently have made the decision to not do IVF. They will consider adoption in the future. It's not a strenuous hike, but I did warn P that we may need to cancel the hike if my ovaries get too enlarged such that it hurts to walk.

TMI #2: Oh, just for curiosity's sake, I checked my cervical fluid today. Tons of the stretchy egg-white stuff. I guess it really is related to high estrogen. One bittersweet aspect to IF: I really do like having a better understanding of the female reproductive system! I joked to one of my friends that I want to get quadruple board-certified: Internal Medicine (done), Oncology (Fall 2008), Hematology (Spring 2009), and Reproductive Endocrinology (anytime now...ha)!

I am joking about that, but I actually could get a little bit involved with Reproductive Endocrinology in the professional sense. There is a group at my workplace called the Oncofert.ility Consortium. This group apparently works to enable fertility preservation options for young cancer patients. Last winter, a mentor of mine (Dr P) forwarded an email to me, asking me if I wanted to be get involved, too. Dr P is too busy, but she wants someone from medical oncology to get involved. After all, we oncologists are the ones who give these young men and women the chemotherapy that may save their life...but kill their eggs and sperm forever. It would be good to have someone on our end to help facilitate the referral for a young person with cancer who wants to preserve fertility.

The ironic thing is, Dr A and Dr W (two of my REs) were also listed as recipients of that original email, meaning that they are already part of the Oncofert.ility Consortium. Well, I would *love* to join this group, but not yet!! It would be too weird to be on a bunch of emails and committees with Dr A and Dr W at this point. Someday, though... I think it sounds fascinating!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

You'd probably be a great person to be on that consortium, since you obviously have the medical expertise but also the IF experience as well. And it might not be such a bad thing to be in the group along with your doctors. You might just really impress them!

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

if you think you're feeling your ovaries now, just wait until after retrieval! I was walking funny for a week :)

Sounds like everything is going just as it should! Yay!!!

Anonymous said...

oohhh,that does sound fascinating. I have a question for you. Do you think your doctors treat you different because your a doctor? Do they take more time to explain things, or do you think because of your background your able to ask better questions and become more involved in the process?

Sounds like everything is going well for you and I'm glad you are giving me so much information. Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'm all caught up now.