Tuesday, May 13, 2008

9DP5DT -- Bumps in the Road

First of all, let me say, "Thank you!!" to everyone who has commented on my last post. I had no idea that so many people were reading my blog! I know (from personal experience) that it can sometimes be hard to congratulate someone when you're still trying, but I sincerely appreciate every one of your comments.

I remain thrilled and overjoyed about Sunday's BFP, but I have hit some bumps (potholes?) in the road.

Remember how I mentioned that the recurrence of OHSS syndromes were the first sign that maybe, just maybe, this thing worked?

Well, unfortunately it has been getting worse. A lot worse. In the middle of the night Sunday I was awake for over an hour with upper abdominal pain. Monday morning, I had to take a break while doubled over in pain while I was getting dressed. Somehow, I hobbled into work and saw my 8 scheduled patients. Meanwhile, I contacted the RE's office. I actually spoke to Dr. W on the phone. She asked about symptoms and agreed that it sounded like OHSS. While not seemingly overly concerned, she was shocked when I said that we were planning to leave for France in 3 short days. She said she would definitely recommend against it. Because I was reluctant to make that major decision without a little more data, she agreed that I could come in for an ultrasound.

Dr. G did the ultrasound. Right away, he could see my distended abdomen and the ultrasound (both abdominal and vaginal) detected free fluid all throughout my pelvis and enlarged ovaries (~8cm). There even seemed to be some fluid in the upper abdomen, near the liver. This is considered moderate OHSS. He told me that many people get OHSS, but that mine was starting earlier than most, and that it would almost certainly get worse before it got better. He, too, strongly recommended against our plan to travel to France. By this time, I was in enough pain that I was starting to believe that it wouldn't be possible in any case.

I then had bloodwork drawn and picked up a prescription for Vicodin (just in case). I literally don't think that I have taken any kind of narcotic pain med in my entire life, but I wanted to have it on hand, just in case. He only gave me 8 pills, though.

I went home early and started calling the airline and emailing the hotels in France. I didn't go into all the details, other than "gynecology problem" to the airline and "pregnancy problem" to the hotels. They were all amazingly kind. The airline is giving us credit for the tickets and forgiving any change fee for future flights (thanks Continent.al!). The hotel in Paris is not charging us anything. Even Hotw.ire is going to give us back all but $25 on our rental car.

This is all pretty disappointing. I'm honestly more disappointed for S than for myself because I have been to Paris once before, but he never has, and was really really excited about it. He is being so loving and tender, though, and making me feel OK about it. He is going to take the time off anyway, do projects around the house, and we'll do local/regional stuff (LA? Santa Barbara? Palm Springs?) if I feel up to it.

Last night was also not fun. I took Tylenol at bedtime to try to prevent the pain. So, instead of waking up with pain, I woke up with nausea and dry heaves. I don't think this is morning sickness; I think it's from there being so much fluid in my abdomen that there is no room for food. I propped myself up on 3-4 pillows and let gravity help me a little bit.

After S left (early) this morning, I tried to get out of bed and failed miserably. I was in such severe pain that I was literally almost crying. I took a single Tylenol in hopes that it would quiet things down enough so that I could go to the grocery store. I needed to get Gatora.de and soups. After I took the Tylenol, I laid down to rest for a few minutes and I was whimpering in pain, unable to find any position that was comfortable. At that point, I probably would have called my mom or dad, asking them to come and bring Gatora.de, but the phone was 15 feet away and I couldn't get to it. I finally closed my eyes and woke up 30-45 minutes later feeling MUCH better. Still distended, but able to stand (leaning forward) without severe pain. I went to the grocery store and picked up the aforementioned items. At this point, I felt too guilty to skip work entirely, so I hobbled in here around noon.

Meanwhile, I talked to my RE's office about the blood tests from yesterday. I am indeed showing some signs of mild dehydration. I have a low sodium (131) and a hemoglobin 15-something with a baseline more like 13-14, In addition, my WBC is somewhat elevated (14K).

All of these events have led me to tell a bunch of people at work (the lab) and also my grandfather and aunt about the IVF and the fact that I am having the OHSS side effect. I need to explain the sudden vacation cancellation to my grandpa and aunt, and I need to explain my hunched posture and obvious pain to the people in lab. I've already decided that I am skipping work entirely tomorrow, no matter what.

Don't get me wrong; it's still 100% worth it. I did another cheap-o U-check HPT this AM and the line was noticably darker. I moved my beta back to Thursday as that is my RE's preferred beta-day, and I no longer have "need to catch a flight" as an excuse to move it up by a day.

I just wish that these symptoms would start to go away sometime soon. I can't even tell whether I am having any another symptoms (breast soreness, etc) because the abdominal discomfort is just so overwhelming. I can't imagine what I will feel like if this gets worse. Sorry for such a depressing post. I don't mean to complain at all! I am really grateful that this might have worked.


Emily said...

Oh no!!! I guess it is born of a good thing, but YUCK! I am so sorry. It stinks that you have to cancel the trip, but you sound in a good place with it. Paris will wait for you! Feel better soon!!!

soapchick said...

Wow you've been through a lot. I hope you feel better soon. Sorry about your trip, but hopefully you'll get to go another time. Hang in there.

Lorrie said...

Sorry you're not feeling well! Hopefully your OHSS will ease up soon. That sucks that you had to postpone (NOT cancel... the two of you will go to France one day!)the trip, but, I guess if you couldn't go, pregnancy is the best reason possible!

Hope you feel better soon!

Meghan said...

Glad the tests are still turning up those lines but soooo sorry about the OHSS...it sounds just miserable. Can they drain any of that extra fluid to help you feel better?

Jen said...

Sure you'll never cancel a trip to France for a better reason. But still, you had to cancel a trip to France! And then all the pain on top of it. I'm so sorry hun. At least in the end it will all be worthwhile.

Lauren said...

Oh, I hope that goes away soon. Glad the HPT still showed a distinct positive!
And thanks for your comment about IVF.

alison said...

Oh yuck!! This sounds so awful. I know it helps that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but what a crappy way to start things off. I hope you'll get to see Paris soon, but it's not going anywhere. :) Take care of yourself!!

kcmarie122 said...

I missed your original BFP post so let me just say CONGRATULATIONS first! Yay! That is such wonderful news!

The not so wonderful news is all the pain you are in from OHSS. I hope it clears up soon. Sorry you are missing you trip! That would be pretty disappointing. But you just need to focus on resting and getting better first!

Maria said...

Yikes, I'm so sorry that your OHSS is causing so much pain. I'm also sorry that you had to cancel your trip, but it's probably for the best until you feel better.

poppy.f.seed said...

so sorry about your trip, but very cool that you didn't lose money. I hope you start to feel better asap